TopSolid 7.7 is about to move from Alpha to Beta and while the official release of TopSolid 7.7 might feel as if it´s still far, far away why not take a look at some of the work Missler Software has done to graphics and realistic rendering in the next version of TopSolid 7.7
Here are the most interesting ones:
Realistic rendering (Redway 3.1)
- The detection of graphic cards has been improved: the most recent cards have been added and the detection has been improved (in particular to better handle unknown cards, such as cards being released after TopSolid)
- A new progressive rendering mode has been added. It is used when computing an image in a preview window. The previous mode gave a “blocky” aspect; the new one gives a nice aspect for the geometry,
only lighting and shadowing are blocky (compare snapshots to the right). This doesn’t change the result, but the feedback is really better.
- The High Dynamic Range (HDR) computation and environments now use half the memory they did before. This means that TopSolid uses less memory during rendering, and that HDR environment files are now usable (they used too much memory to be usable before)
- The most exciting feature of Redway 3.1 is post-processing. Images being rendered in the preview window can be post-processed “à la Photoshop” to improve the overall result. Furthermore, this post-processing is interactive because it is done very fast in hardware, and it can even be applied during the rendering of the image, not only when the rendering is complete.
- The settings of the “realistic rendering” dialog can be saved as a preset. You can later select a preset to quickly configure the “realistic rendering” dialog.
- Hardware antialiasing is now supported by means of an option in TopSolid graphic options, both in usual render modes and in realistic render modes.
- Environments can be imported directly from HDR files. They are automatically converted and it is no more necessary to convert them to a cubemap DDS file. There are also some options to adjust brightness and gamma, and select the quality.
- The environment of a project can now be oriented interactively.
- The graphical cut command has been highly improved: it can include up to three planes, display manual or automatic hatches, keep the color of parts and highlight the edges from the cut.
Thanks to Missler Software for providing info and pictures!