In the age of digitization, design can no longer work without the management component. CAD/CAM companies are well aware of this: managing and storing product data using an automated centralization tool is a major challenge. Yet the use of a PDM in machining is still not the norm. Why should you have a PDM for CAM machining? What are the benefits? What features of the tool should you check when making a decision? Answers.
What is PDM?
PDM is the acronym for Product Data Management. It is also known as a Technical Data Management System. This acronym refers to the digital tool used to retrieve, manage and store electronic information relating to a product.
The role of the PDM in CAD/CAM is to collect and centralize all the CAD documents. In view: a smooth and controlled availability to the users concerned – engineers, and also production or purchasing departments.
CAD/CAM initially made it possible to design, test and produce parts. However, the digitization chain must not stop there. Once the product cycle has been completed, certain problems arise.
- Traceability: this issue originally appeared in the most sensitive and exposed sectors – the medical and aeronautics sectors. Companies need to know who did what, when and how.
- Capitalization: the company capitalizes on its know-how, which represents an intangible asset with high added value. In this context, it is in its best interest to carefully keep all its product data in a safe place.
- The rise in performance: in an ultra-competitive context, and at a time when technological progress allows – demands – a permanent change in techniques, the parts produced in CAD/CAM are bound to evolve. And quickly. To improve performance, the company has no choice but to constantly adapt its products.
The PDM takes over to address these different issues.
TopSolid CAD/CAM Product Range
Advantages of PDM for your CAD/CAM solution
How is the product designed, manufactured and operated? All of this technical information represents a considerable and valuable amount of data. To ensure centralized and secure storage, to allow automated updates and to ensure smooth and controlled sharing in real time, the company must have a high-performance management tool.
As a database for machine-oriented people, the PDM has the following advantages:
- Secure storage: the PDM collects and stores product data. This management tool, in this context, has the advantage of integrity and security. The risk of human error and data loss are reduced to zero.
- Digitized centralization: CAD/CAM eliminates manual tasks and paper format. Templates and documents are now fully digitized, and their management must also comply with this requirement. With the PDM, the company saves itself a considerable amount of time when it comes to finding information.
- Update and collaborative work in real-time: product data is updated to optimize the parts that are modified. Faster, ultra-secure. The PDM also allows several people to work on the same project without compromising data integrity.
- Optimal visibility and smooth sharing: the dissemination of information, due to its digitization, is ensured under the best conditions regarding deadline and reliability. Product data is easily accessible to all or only authorized users.
The PDM, in CAD/CAM, is an essential tool for flexible and smooth management. This is why the most efficient CAD/CAM software today includes a product data management system, for a global tool at the service of company performance.
Discover TopSolid’s integrated PDM
Aware of the performance challenges of CAD/CAM companies, TOPSOLID SAS offers an all-in-one tool, which integrates an adapted PDM system into the CAD/CAM software. You can provide yourself with, in a single software package, a programming tool as well as a document management tool.
- TopSolid’s PDM allows you to manage all of your TopSolid documents as well as the supporting documents: material certificates, orders for specific tools, administrative processes and validation of loads, etc. The database of your digital tool integrates all types of information, without volume limit.
- With TopSolid, you have the opportunity to automate the entire digital chain. By centralizing the company’s know-how via an ultra-secure, collaborative and intuitive system, the company preserves its intangible assets and makes information available in a smooth and controlled manner.
The major advantages of TopSolid’s integrated PDM:
- A user-friendly tool: the user takes control of the tool intuitively, saving precious time. It easily exploits all of the features of the software, for the benefit of the company.
- A machining simulation with ISO code management according to the simulation.
- A machining situation in conditions of optimal reliability.
- The management of machined stocks.
Concentrate on your core business, save yourself management issues, save time and exploit the latest technological innovations with TopSolid’s integrated PDM! Data security, smooth and controlled exchanges, maintaining know-how, etc., treat yourself to the best advantages of the PDM for CAD/CAM!